Born: 1972, Greenfield Park, QC
• Felix for Male Artist of the Year 1996 and 1998
• Felix for Song of the Year, 1996 (“Seigneur”)
• Felix for Song of the Year, 1997 (“Father on the Go”)
• Felix for Song of the Year, 1998 (“Fréquenter l’oubli”)
• Felix for Pop-Rock Album of the Year, 1999 (Grand parleur, petit faiseur)
• Juno for Francophone Album of the Year, 2002 (Les Vonts on change)
Studio Albums and Hit Singles
1995: Pigeon d’argile
• 3x Platinum
• Hit Singles: “Seigneur” (#4 WP; Felix Song of the Year 1996), “La Jasette” (#7 WP), “Father on the Go” (#1 WP; Felix Song of the Year 1997), “La Critique” (#1 WP), “Ado maso” (#12 WP), “Nomade sédentaire ” (#24 WP), “Mother of our Child” (#4 WP), “Boomerang” (#12 WP)
1998: Grand parleur, petit faiseur
• 3x Platinum
• Hit Singles: “Fréquenter l’oubli” (Felix Song of the Year 1998), “Maudite jalousie” (Felix-nominated)
2001: Les Vents ont changé
• Hit Singles: “Caliente” (Felix-nominated)
2007: Fangless Wolf Facing Winter
• English Album
2009: Kevin Parent
• Hit Singles: “Besoin d’amour” (Felix-nominated)
From the get-go, Kevin Parent took French Canada by storm, quickly becoming the best-selling artist in Quebec after Celine Dion. For three consecutive years he walked away with the Felix award for the most popular song.
Though born on the south shore of Montreal, Kevin grew up in the town of Nouvelles in the Gaspé region on the Bay of Chaleur. His mother-tongue is English but he was French-educated. At 17, he began performing in local bars and private parties. He won first prize in a local song contest in 1993 and was signed by Montreal label Tacca Musique. His debut album, Pigeon d’argile, appeared in 1995. With eight of its songs becoming hits in Quebec, the album sold 360,000 copies. His second effort, Grand parleur, petit faiseur, did almost as well.
Among original tunes, like the Felix-nominated “Caliente”, and tracks that paid homage to former works, like “Father On The Go part 2″, Parent’s third album, 2001′s Les Vents ont change, featured a cover of Leonard Cohen’s “Suzanne”. The album was certified platinum and Kevin went on tour across the country including dates in the territories. A live album followed, entitled Retrouvailles. A compilation album was released in 2006. The following year, Parent put out his first English album, Fangless Wolf Facing Winter. A number of personnel contributed to the album including Daniel Belanger, Damhnait Doyle, and Blue Rodeo’s Jim Cuddy. His most recent work, 2009′s self-titled release, includes the Felix nominated song “Besoin d’amour”.
Copyright 2011 by the Canadian Music Blog