Born: 1994, London, ON
Origin: Stratford, ON
Genres: Pop, R&B, Rap
• In 2 years, sold more than 10 million records worldwide
• One of only five Canadian artists to receive a BRIT award
• 22 Top 40 singles, 4 finishing in the year-end Top 100 charts
• By the end of the decade was the most googled individual in the world
• 2 JUNO awards in 2011
Studio Albums and Hit Singles
2009: My World (EP)
• 2x Platinum in Canada and the U.K.
• Hit Singles: “One Less Lonely Girl” (#10 WP), “One Time” (#12 WP; #81 YE), “Love Me” (#12 WP), “Favourite Girl” (#15 WP)
2010: My World 2.0
• 2x Platinum in Canada, the U.S., and Australia
• Hit Singles: “Baby” (#3 WP; #61 YE), “Somebody to Love” (#10 WP; #87), “Never Let You Go” (#14), “Eenie Meenie” (#14 WP; #76 YE), “U Smile” (#17 WP)
2011: Under the Mistletoe
• 3x Platinum
• Singles: “Mistletoe” (#9 WP)
• 2x Platinum
• Singles: “All Around the World” (#10 WP), “Boyfriend” (#1 WP; #35 YE), “As Long As You Love Me” (#9 WP; #48 YE), “Die in your Arms” (#14 WP), “Beauty and a Beat” (#4 WP)
• “Never Say Never” (#11 WP)
• “Next to You” with Chris Brown (#32 WP)
• “Turn to You” (#22 WP)
• “Beautiful” with Carly Rae Jepsen (#37 WP)
• “Live My Life” with Far East Movement (#4 WP, #85 YE)
Legend: WP – Weekly Peak, YE – Year-End Top 100
Canada has supplied the world with a number of teen stars over the years, and, unlike the United States, all have enjoyed continued success in their adult years.
Like many Canadians these days, Bieber was raised by a single mother. He grew up in Stratford, Ontario teaching himself drums, guitar, piano and trumpet. He entered a local singing contest when he was 12 and finished second. Taking advantage of new technologies, he uploaded videos onto internet website YouTube in 2007, of his performing covers of tunes of American artists Usher and Stevie Wonder. They took the world by storm and he racked up 10 million views.
The videos attracted the attention of So So Def management executive Scooter Braun. At just 13 years of age, Bieber was flown down to Atlanta, USA to meet with industry personnel and discuss a career. American rapper Usher and singer Justin Timberlake took an immediate interest in him but, as Usher and Braun were connected, Bieber signed with them and Island Records president L.A. Reid in October 2008. It was decided to make an EP first which was titled My World. The first single released was “One Time”, which charted globally, peaking at #12 in Canada. My World was certified double-platinum in both Canada and the United Kingdom. Eventually, seven singles from the album charted in the Billboard Hot 100, a record for a debut album.
Bieber followed up with a full-length album called My World 2.0, released in March, 2010. “Baby” was an international smash. At home, it was a #3 hit and was the 61st biggest song of the year. It topped the charts in France, peaked at #3 in Britain and Australia, and #5 in the United States where it was certified triple-platinum. To date, its music video has garnered over 800 million views on YouTube. The album matched the success of its predecessor.
He followed the album with both acoustic and remix albums and embarked on a world tour to the Americas, Europe, Asia, and Oceania. 93% of the venues sold out.
In 2011, Bieber became one of only five Canadian recording artists to win a BRIT award (International Breakthrough Act) and won two JUNO awards: pop album of the year (My World 2.0) and the fan choice award. In November he released a Christmas album called Under the Mistletoe. It was his most successful album in Canada, attaining triple-platinum sales. Track “Mistletoe”, an original song composed entirely by Canadians, was a Top 10 hit.
Bieber released Believe in 2012 which was certified double Platinum in November and became the best-selling Canadian album released in 2012 internationally. The album spawned several Top 20 singles, including #1 “Boyfriend”, the 5th song by a Canadian artist to top the Billboard Canadian Hot 100. He went on tour with labelmate Carly Rae Jepsen. All shows in Northern America sold out in 30 minutes.
Justin Bieber Official Site