Many are in a frenzy with the announcement of a new Taylor Swift album and record companies are no doubt rescheduling releases away from November 10. The announcement from the gal who walked away from country music coincides with that of Country Music Television’s ceasing the play of music videos effective August 27. We don’t buy the assertion that video streaming is the culprit in dwindling viewership tuning in to watch MVs, interviews, and live performances. Radio stations haven’t thrown in the towel due to the existence of audio streaming. The real reason probably has more to do with the fact that showing broad-spectrum appeal programming like Terminator 2 and The Avengers makes more money for the avaricious suits.
Those savouring hat music can tune in to the CCMA awards Sep 10. The list of performers is now complete. See international cowboys Brett Young and Blake Shelton; female slayers Jess Moskaluke, Madeline Merlo, and Meghan Patrick; groups James Barker Band, High Valley, and The Washboard Union; and gents Dallas Smith, Chad Brownlee, Gord Bamford, Tim Hicks, Dean Brody, and Brett Kissel.
And now, onto this week’s charts…
1. “Despacito” spends its 15th week at No. 1 tying Marc Ronson’s “Uptown Funk”. The record for the most weeks at the top of the Hot 100 is claimed by both The Black Eyed Peas’ “I Gotta Feeling” and Ed Sheeran’s “Shape of You” at 16 weeks. “Despacito” has already slipped to #3 in Australia where Pink is more popular and #5 in Britain where Dua Lipa is all the rage.
2. “Reminding Me” by Shawn Hook spends its 16th week on the Hot 100. Music Canada recently certified it platinum which is the British Columbian’s second single to make the grade.
3. Three tracks by Canucks debut on the Hot 100: “Figures” by Jessie Reyez #95, “Friends” by Justin Bieber (& BloodPop) #96, and “Bend” by Ria Mae #100.
4. The aforementioned “Friends” by the Biebs debuts on Hot Digital Songs at #15.
5. 2Frères are #1 for song sales in Quebec with “Comme avant”. Tops at BDS continues to be Andréanne A. Malette’s “Fou”.
6. Shawn Mendes champions Hot 100 Airplay, Hot AC, and All-Format Airplay with “There’s Nothing Holding Me Back”.
7. SonReal enters the Emerging Canadian Artists chart at #16 thanks to some “Problems”.
8. Girl rock band The Beaches (not to be confused with Beaches) receives the Artist Spotlight feature in Nielsen Music’s newsletter. New single “Money” is bubbling under the Modern Rock airplay chart.
9. Madeline Merlo’s “Motel Flamingo” debuts on All-Format Airplay at #48.
10. “Despacito” featuring Justin Bieber is tops at CHR and his “Friends” debuts at the radio format at #36.
11. “Drop Me in the Water” by Our Lady Peace graces Rock Radio at #38.
12. Vancouver newcomer Shawn Austin ventures onto the Country charts with “Paradise Found” (#49) and Pembroke, ON’s Jason Blaine squeaks in at #50 c/o “Born to Love”.